JJ is the CEO and a Board Director at The Townscape Consultancy. Having worked previously at Citydesigner and Savills in London, he is an expert in townscape, heritage, architectural and urban design advice, with over 16 years of experience in the built environment. With a strong academic background in architecture (Licentiate (Chile), MPhil and PhD), as well as a past career working as an architect (in Germany), researcher, and University Lecturer in urban design, he truly enjoys collaborating with architects and developers on high-profile urban regeneration and redevelopment projects.
He is a passionate advocate of outstanding design quality in all his projects, which are mostly based in central London, but also cover Dublin, Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, and Brighton, with a focus on complex high-density, medium-rise and tall buildings, including involvement in six tall building schemes in the City of London’s Eastern Cluster, as well as changes to listed buildings, and interventions within conservation areas.
Past projects (including at other consultancies) include:
- Angel Square, Islington – a new office building above Angel Underground Station, retaining the structure of the existing building, with AHMM for Tishman Speyer.
- 65 Crutched Friars, City of London – a new 21 storey mixed-use scheme for student accommodation and designed with the ambition to host the Migration Museum, with 3XN architects for Dominvs Group.
- Merrion Street, Leeds – 32-storey student accommodation tower on Merrion Street in Leeds City Centre, with SimpsonHaugh Architects for Bloombridge and Real Estate Capital Partners.
- Islington Wharf, Manchester – a part 10 and part 15-storey housing development at Islington Wharf in Manchester, with Ryder Architecture for Waterside Places.
- St Mary le Port, Bristol – a large mixed-use development at St Mary le Port, Bristol, with Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios for MEPC.
- Blackwall Reach Phase 3, Tower Hamlets – a mixed-use development of up to 12 storeys, with CF Møller Architects for Swan Housing Association.
- No. 1 Leadenhall Street, City of London – a 37-storey office tower with Make Architects for Brookfield Property Partners.
- No. 70 Gracechurch Street, City of London – proposal of 33 storeys (mixed-use), with Kohn Pedersen Fox for Tenacity Group.
- Fulham Gasworks, Hammersmith & Fulham – a large mixed-use masterplan including a new park, three towers of up to 35 storeys and several medium rise buildings at Fulham Gasworks in South Fulham, with Robin Partington and Partners (now Apt), EPR and Fred Pilbrow and Partners for St William (Berkeley Group).
- Spencer Dock, Dublin – a mixed-use hotel and office development at Spencer Dock in Dublin’s North Docks, with Henry J Lyons for The Ronan Group.
Beyond the above, JJ has also collaborated with many other architects, including Foster and Partners, PLP, Adjaye Associates, Squire and Partners, Snøhetta (Oslo), Mecanoo (Netherlands), Allies and Morrison, PDP London, Maccreanor Lavington, WestonWilliamson and Partners, Gort Scott Architects, TP Bennett, Falconer Chester Hall, Tate Hindle, Corstorphine + Wright, FourFourSixSix, pH+ Architects, GRID Architects, Purcell, and Morrow Lorraine, amongst others.
Other past clients include Transport for London, Homes for Lambeth, Bellway Homes Limited, City and Suburban Homes, Apex Capital Partners, and Urban and Provincial, amongst others.