Ailish has worked as a consultant in the built environment for over 10 years, initially as an urban designer consulting on neighbourhood plans, research of the urban environment and community engagement, then specialising more specifically in townscape and heritage. She has previously worked at Citydesigner, where she was involved in new development projects within sensitive contexts across London, Brighton and Dublin. In 2017, Ailish joined Iceni Projects introducing and establishing townscape as a specialism to complement their heritage team and has worked more widely across London, England and Scotland.
She has a wide range of experience as a townscape and heritage consultant with a background in urban design, advising on tall buildings, tall building strategies, heritage sensitive schemes, place making, appeal, and strategic community focused masterplanning. She is an advocate of innovative design and architectural solutions and is particularly interested in how historical context can influence and encourage innovative design solutions.
The importance of place and how to introduce positive public space to our cities has been an area of study for her over the years. Ailish has presented her research on the built environment at an international level, featuring at conferences in New York, Rotterdam and Belfast.
Past projects (including at other consultancies) include:
- Tower Bridge Court, LB Southwark – refurbishment and extension office redevelopment with community flexible space, 100% carbon neutral, next to Tower Bridge by Stiff + Trevillion for Fore Partnerships and Landid.
- Cavalry Barracks, Hounslow – major masterplan scheme to deliver 1,600+ homes with consideration to 14 listed buildings, 19 locally listed buildings and the Cavalry Barracks CA and new use to the former military site by TP Bennett for Inland Homes.
- Barking, LB Barking & Dagenham – multiple residential-led schemes including Abbey Retail Park, Town Quay, Tesco and Hertford Road as part of the BeFirst Town Centre Masterplan.
- Byng Street & Bellamy Close, LB Tower Hamlets – residential-led scheme of up to 26 storeys and reprovision of 24 existing residents by HTA for One Housing.
- Beehive Mill, Manchester – restoration and office accommodation update of the Grade II* listed former cotton mill building located within the Ancoats area for Urban Splash and the Prince’s Trust.
- 58-70 York Road, LB Wandsworth – residential development of up to 14 storeys as part of the Lombard Road/York Road Riverside Focal Point SPD by Grid Architects for Cherwell Group.
- 33 Creechurch Lane, City of London – office redevelopment of up to 20 storeys within consideration to the Tower of London WHS by Assael Architects for Merchant Land.
- New Road Triangle, LB Hounslow – residential development of up to 14 storeys delivering 176 new homes next to Feltham Station by LDS for Lampton Development 360 and EcoWorld.
- 241 Green Street, Enfield – redevelopment of an industrial site to deliver a mixed-use residential scheme of up to 16 storeys with Matthew Lloyd Architects for Stonegate Homes.
- Anglia Square, Norwich – redevelopment mixed-use scheme to deliver 1,200 new homes within the city centre with Broadway Malyan Architects for Weston Homes and Columbia Threadneedle.
- Stead’s Place, Edinburgh – redevelopment of a 2.9 acre industrial site along Leith Walk with consideration of the immediate and wider visual impact, including protected city views, with HFM architects from Drum Property Group.
- 520 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow – redevelopment and façade retention of a category B listed building for a co-living scheme of up to 13 storeys with ADP Architects for Consensus Capital.
- One Crown Place, LB Hackney – by KPF architects is a residential-led project of up to 32 storeys and retained locally listed Georgian terrace accommodating a boutique hotel, for AlloyMtd Group.
- Alpha Square, LB Tower Hamlets – EIA submission for up to 62 storeys in Tower Hamlets for Far East Consortium by Pilbrow & Partners, considering cumulative impacts on LVMF strategic views.
- 21 Moorfields, City of London – mixed-use redevelopment to incorporate the new Crossrail station by Wilkinson Eyre architects from Land Securities.
- Mapleton Crescent, Wandsworth – Pocket Living’s 17 storey scheme delivering 89 dwellings by Metropolitan Workshop.
- Huntingdon Estate, LB Tower Hamlets – consented following public enquiry for a tiered 15 storey residential-led mixed use scheme by Robin Partington Architects and associated Fleet Street Hill affordable terraced housing scheme by Peter Barber Architects for Londonewcastle.
- ESB, Dublin – office redevelopment of Dublin’s ‘Georgian Mile’ by Grafton Architects and O’Mahony Pike for ESB Ireland.
- 30 St James’s Square, Westminster – office redevelopment to unify two unlisted buildings of merit bounding St James’s Square with roof and building extension by Eric Parry Architects for Grolux Investments.
Other clients Ailish has worked with in the past include Nike, Sovereign Centros, The Argyll Club, North London Collegiate School, Dominvs Group, Consolidated Developments, Justin Homes, Matterhorn Capital, Countryside, the Epilepsy Society, Camden Council, and Windsor & Maidenhead Council, amongst others.